Season Tickets FAQs
Frequently asked questions about Season Tickets.
Season Tickets can offer great discounts for those who travel more than, say, three or four days a week. And generally the longer the Season Ticket the bigger the savings.
Here you can enter your requirements, select your ticket and complete the purchase. If you’ve bought online before, we’ll remember your photocard ID and, if you asked us to, your payment details too.
We only accept company cheques as payment for Annual Season Tickets in the following circumstances:
- If it is a renewal of an existing Annual Season Ticket
- If proof of identity, company letter and address are provided for a new Annual Season Ticket.
All company cheques must be made payable to West Midlands Trains Limited and accompanied by a letter of authorisation on the company's letter-headed paper.
Customers must write their name and address on the back of the cheque and produce proof of their identity and address.
- Proof of identity can be from: credit card; employer's identification card; valid Railcard; passport; driving licence
- Evidence of address can be from: driving licence; DSS pension or allowance book; utility bill
Please note: Personal cheques are no longer accepted for new or renewals of Season Tickets.
You can buy a new 7 Day Season or Travelcard Season (or renew following a break in continuity) on the start date, or if the start date is a Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday) from 06:00 the previous Sunday.
For Monthly and longer Season Tickets and Travelcard Season Tickets (including Annual Gold Cards), the following will apply:
- If the start date is a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday) you can buy your ticket from noon on the previous Friday
- If the start date is any other day you can buy your ticket after noon the previous day
You can renew your 7 Day Season Ticket or Travelcard Season Ticket (surrendering your current ticket) where there is no break of continuity as follows:
- If the start date is a Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday) you can buy your ticket from noon on the previous Friday
- If the start day is any other day you can buy your ticket after noon the previous day
- When renewing Monthly and longer Season Tickets and Travelcard Season Tickets (including Annual Gold Cards) where there is no break in continuity you can buy your ticket up to seven days in advance.
If your Season Ticket is monthly or longer and valid for at least another seven days you can change the origin and/or destination station(s).
- The ticket expiry date stays the same and we'll give you a pro-rata refund or charge the difference. You won't have to pay an administration fee
- We can't change a ticket retrospectively so if there is a refund payable it won't be backdated
Check with the ticket office staff before you apply.
If you no longer need your Season Ticket, you can apply for a refund as long as it still has at least seven days’ validity remaining (or three days for 7-day season tickets). The refund is calculated from the date we receive the ticket. Due to the discounted nature of Season Tickets, they have no refund value after ten months and 13 days.
You can hand in your ticket to the original purchase location. Or, you can post it to the appropriate refunds department listed below. Refunds are not calculated on a pro rata basis: we will refund the difference between the price you originally paid and the normal cost of daily return travel for the period, to include monthly, weekly and daily tickets as appropriate. This is from the date the Season Ticket started until the date we received it (less the £10 administration fee).
Station and other channel refunds
Freepost LONDON NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY CUSTOMER RELATIONS
London Northwestern Railway
PO Box 23972
Edinburgh EH3 5DA
Telephone or website booking
You can change or refund your Season Ticket by calling us on 0333 311 0006.
If you booked your Season Ticket at a train station, simply return to the station and hand your unused ticket to member of booking office staff. If your ticket qualifies for a refund they will ask you to complete a quick form and sign it. They’ll then process your refund.
- Refunds on Season Tickets are calculated from the date the refund was applied for. Your Season Ticket must have at least seven days remaining on a monthly or longer season and at least three days for a seven day season to be eligible.
- Refunds are not calculated on a pro rata basis and in some cases the residual value, less a £10 administration fee, may result in no refund being payable.
You can find out about your station opening hours and other facilities in the A-Z stations guide.
If you’re ill your refund will be calculated from the date we receive your ticket, unless you can provide a medical certificate showing that you stopped using your ticket earlier, plus (if requested) confirmation from your employer. Please note that we will not refund your ticket if you use it during or after your illness.
If you bought your ticket online, please call us on 0333 311 0039 and we’ll be happy to replace it for you. There may be a charge and you will need to buy a ticket for those days you are without your Season Ticket.
If you bought your ticket at a station, please return to the station where a member of staff will be happy to replace it for you.
Please report a lost or stolen Season Ticket to one of our ticket offices as soon as possible. Or, if you bought your ticket with us online, call us on 0333 311 0006.
You should also report any theft to the police.
If your ticket is valid for a month or more we will issue a duplicate. While there is no limit on the number of duplicates you can claim, additional checks are carried out for the second duplicate issued and any others in a 12 month period.
Things you should know
- If you have lost your ticket more than once, we may not be able to replace it for you.
- We charge an administration fee of £10 for issuing duplicates.
- Please note that lost, stolen or spoiled weekly season tickets cannot be replaced or refunded. For further information visit the National Rail website.