Advance train tickets
Planning ahead? Save with Advance tickets.
Plan ahead and take advantage of our cheapest fares, available on longer distance routes. Advance tickets are for single journeys, and help you find the best price for your trip by mixing and matching other single tickets.
Advance ticket booking window
Advance fares now on sale for dates up to and including:
|Day||Booking Advance fares until||Routes|
|Monday to Friday||15 August 2022||All|
|Saturday||15 August 2022||All|
|Sunday||10 July 2022||All|
Last updated: 20/05/2022
We are not open beyond Friday 12 August as we are awaiting confirmation of the future timetables that will be in operation for these dates.
At present, we hope to make Advance Purchase fares available where possible on a rolling weekly basis, as soon as the relevant timetables have been uploaded into the rail industry retail systems.
It remains our intention to make Advance Purchase fares available for future dates, covering longer booking horizons, just as soon as it becomes possible to do so.
Advance train tickets explained
- Advance tickets are released every week, up to 12 weeks ahead
- You’ll need to travel on a specific train at a specific time
- Advance tickets are for single journeys, helping you mix and match with other single tickets to get the best price for your trip
- Normal discounts apply, so if you normally use a 16-25 Railcard or Senior Railcard for example, you would receive the additional third off on the already cheaper (Advance) ticket
- Advance First tickets are available for first class travel - but if you are unable to get one, at weekends you can simply upgrade on-board for £15 return
- Book as early as possible to give yourself the chance of the best deal, but it is still worth checking the night before your journey - tickets are available until 23:59 the day prior to travel
- The level of Advance tickets released can vary for each journey, but they are limited so once they’re gone, they’re gone!
To learn more, read the full National Rail terms and conditions for Advance tickets.
Just so you know...
- Advance tickets are usually non-refundable, but right now you can book with confidence – and make fee-free changes to your travel until 30 September 2022.
- There is no refund value on any Advance ticket but, If the train you purchased a ticket for is cancelled or delayed by more than 60 minutes, special arrangements will be made to accommodate you on another train (although a seat cannot be guaranteed). If, as a result, you decide not to travel, a refund will be offered on completely unused tickets and you will not be charged an administration fee.
How to buy an Advance ticket
You can book trains in advance quickly and easily:
- Online with our journey planner or Best Fare Finder
- App - download our app from Google Play or Apple App Store
- Visit us at a staffed station, and our friendly team will help you out
- Call us if you prefer on 0333 311 0006 - we can help you find the right price and train
Our best fares to London
- Birmingham to London from £7.50
- Coventry to London from £7.50
- Northampton to London from £10.00
- Lichfield to London from £8.50
- Stafford to London from £8.50
- Stoke-on-Trent to London from £8.50
- Crewe to London from £9.50
- Liverpool to London from £13.00
Our best fares to Birmingham
- London to Birmingham from £7.50
- Milton Keynes to Birmingham from £6.20
- Liverpool to Birmingham from £10.50
- Crewe to Birmingham from £8.00
- Stafford to Birmingham from £12.90 (return)
Our best fares to Liverpool
- Birmingham to Liverpool from £10.50
- Coventry to Liverpool from £10.50
- Wolverhampton to Liverpool from £10.50
- Stafford to Liverpool from £10.00
- Crewe to Liverpool from £13.10 (return