Be a part of the London Northwestern Railway family and join us on a journey to help transform the railway for the better.
We are excited to launch the first graduate programme! We are looking for freshly qualified graduates who would like to make a genuine impact delivering benefits to customers travelling by rail.
Graduates will receive a balanced exposure to a mixture of both frontline and head office functions through 4 different placements throughout the year and we will ensure you receive the training, guidance and development to support you throughout the programme and your future career with us.
Life at London Northwestern Railway
- 1 year long programme spread across four 3-months long core placements.
- Based in the head office in Birmingham for HQ roles, or across the network for frontline positions depending on the placement.
- Opportunities for short mini secondments with other departments or even with other industry partners could be arranged.
What to expect from our Graduate Programme
- Lead and oversee projects on the railway network that truly impact passengers and the community. Take charge and manage operations at several of our 150+ stations.
- Developing core professional skillset - from dealing with customers to managing projects and interacting with internal and external stakeholders. With the right balance of courses and training, we will ensure that you develop professional skills relevant to your placement role.
- Get a comprehensive understanding of the business. During your 12 months on the scheme, we will ensure a well-rounded experience with a blend of frontline exposure, including customer interactions and core operations involving trains and stations, as well as placements within our head office functions. With over 30 distinct departments, we are confident that you will find the perfect role for yourself.
- Become future managers and leaders. We love to invest in our graduates and help you shape and progress your career within the company. Further professional opportunities following the programme could be within one of our many departments.
Excellent benefits package including pension, 25 days holiday (+ 8 bank holidays), access to Extra Mile our Employee Benefits Portal, free travel perks, FIP (European Travel Discount) card after 1 year, and 75% discount off other operators in the UK.
- 2:1 in any degree subject.
- Must have graduated within the last 3 years.
- A building surveying degree is required for Property Management and Maintenance roles
Discover the path to your future success. Take a closer look at our Graduate Programme details to find out more about it's structure, application process and current openings.
We are here to help! If you have any queries related to the programme, please contact us using our Graduate Programme enquiry form.
Read about others' experiences
Libby spent 2 months with the company as part of the University of Birmingham’s Industrial Placement Module in Summer 2023.
My placement has been an invaluable journey, that not only deepened my understanding of the railway industry but also propelled my professional growth. During my time at West Midlands Railway, I actively participated in impactful projects. Each of them provided me with a direct window into the railway industry and equipped me with skills that transcend industry boundaries.
Aleena Elizabeth Vijee
Aleena Elizabeth Vijee spent 3 months with the company as part of the University of Birmingham’s Industrial Placement Module in Summer 2022.
I consider myself incredibly lucky to have been among this team who prioritise uplifting their student placements by offering active support and guidance in every circumstance, mirroring the world of rail and its commitment to increasing accessibility for graduates and young employees. West Midlands Railway is at the forefront of this national initiative with their carefully constructed placement programme, which should be recognised for its positive impact on the future of the rail industry.
Joseph spent 2 months with the company as part of the University of Birmingham’s Industrial Placement Module in Summer 2023.
There is so much more to a career in rail than people realise; it is a fast-moving, dynamic, and diverse sector which is seeing huge levels of investment now and for the future. If you are ambitious, want to improve every day, and care about shaping the future of transport in the UK, you will find the right environment at West Midlands Railway. This graduate scheme will help you to find the career you desire, even if you’re not sure what that looks like yet…