Way To Work
Our Way To Work programme will provide free travel to interviews, training, workshops and your new job, to help you get your career on track.
We can also help you get off to a great start, by offering a free Season Ticket for up to three months when you’ve been offered a new job. Way To Work gives you:
- up to six tickets for free rail travel to job interviews
- free rail travel for up to a month to access employability courses, skills/training opportunities or placement experience
- free rail travel for a maximum of three months on London Northwestern Railway and/or West Midlands Railway, following your job appointment or apprenticeship start.
You can apply for the scheme if you have either:
- secured an apprenticeship that has not already commenced
- graduated from university, further or higher education within the last six months and have not yet found employment
- been unemployed for three months or longer and are either
- actively seeking work and attending job interviews and/or
- registered on a jobseekers training/employability programme through Job Centre Plus or an approved partner to develop your skills
To download the Way To Work leaflet which includes the application form, click here
How does it work?
You apply to join the Way To Work scheme, either by post or email. We’ll check your details and, once your membership is approved, we will email you to confirm your membership number that you must then quote on all correspondence. (You may need to check your Junk, or Spam email folders if you think you haven’t heard from us).
You can then apply for tickets to attend job interviews, or season tickets – depending on what’s best for you.
Way To Work membership will be valid for six months. During this time, you’ll be able to apply online for tickets to get you to interviews – or to your new job.
How to apply
To apply for the Way To Work scheme, download and complete our application then send it back to us with your supporting evidence, details below. For help with your application, ask your job coach or agency for advice.
To apply by post, send your completed application form and your support evidence to: Way To Work, Integrated Transport and Accessibility Team, West Midlands Trains, 134 Edmund St, Birmingham, B3 2ES.
If you’d prefer to email your application, you can scan and email all documentation to [email protected]
What counts as supporting evidence?
To apply for the Way to Work scheme, you need to send us your completed application form, plus one item of evidence from the list below. Copies are fine. We can't return any documents.
To help you send us the right type of evidence, please check the list below and make sure you send us the document(s) that is / are relevant to the reason for your application.
If you have secured an apprenticeship in the last month:
- Letter or email from your employer confirming your apprenticeship
If you have graduated from a University or place of further or higher education within the last six months:
- Copies of your university/college degree or further education qualifications.
If you have registered on a jobseekers / employability programme through Job Centre Plus or an approved partner agency and have been unemployed for three months or longer:
- Letter or official email confirming your registration for the relevant programme
- Letter or email from your job coach, work experience/ placement contact, or training tutor supporting your application.
If you have been unemployed for three months or longer and are actively seeking work:
- Letter or official email stating that you have been unemployed for at least three months prior to your application.
Passes are only for legitimate interview, training, or work purposes, and only allow travel between the nominated stations. You must be able to show ID and an email or paper copy of the pass when requested.
For further advice, please contact [email protected]